Thursday, April 20, 2017

It has been nearly 10 years since I blogged here about food. Hahahaha.. I thought I knew food then. I didn't. Since then I have fucked my life up and recovered. I have a degree in culinary arts now, but that was just the beginning of my rediscovering and maturing as a cook. Also, I found some old recipes I had forgotten about, which is cool, especially the Chicken Adobo. I need to review the rest of the posts and work on this blog.

Let's talk food for a moment. When I was writing this I was willing to buy frozen food in the supermarket and heat it up for dinner. I literally do not by anything frozen except fo vegetables or fruit now and then they have to be just that, no additives. All my food is made from scratch and I eat at most one fast food meal a week, and then from a known, trusted source. I am leaned to cook using very few recipes and rarely look at a cookbook any longer and if I do they are for inspiration.

Here is an example: Meatloaf

One to 2 pounds ground beef
2 TBSP oil
One medium to small onion (minced)
3-4 gloves garlic (minced)
2 TBSP worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup divided
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup panko or bread crumbs
1/2 or so cup milk

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

7Mince the onion and garlic (a small food processor is great for this) and heat the oil in a frying pan. Saute the onions and garlic until they are soft and fragrant. While this is going on mix the panko and milk in a small bowl and let it soak. Mix everything together in a bowl (reserving half the ketchup). Grease a medium loaf pan and slide the mixture into it. Smooth out and slather the rest of the ketchup on top. Put into the oven and cook for 45-50 minutes or until the center is about 155 degrees or more. Take out and let sit for about 15 minutes before slicing.

Serve with boiled yellow potatoes and more ketchup and some roasted green beans.

Roasted green beans? Trim a pound of green beans. Toss with oil, salt and pepper and spread on a sheet pan. Put in the oven when the meatloaf is done and roast, stirring after 10 minutes, then taking out when they begin to caramelize (show brown spots). Delicious.

No comments: